AMAZON INTERVIEW QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Amazon’s interview process is the most rigorous in the world. Interviews are lengthy and multifaceted, and interviewers can sometimes be intimidating. This article will help you answer Amazon interview questions. These questions can be anything from the Amazon leadership principles to the initial phone interview. We are interview experts with extensive amazon interview coaching experience, including L4, L5, and L6 positions and L7, L7, and L8 positions.
EXAMPLE AMAZON ICE BREAKER INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
- Why would you like to work at Amazon?
- Amazon: Why?
- Please tell me about yourself.
- Why did you apply for this job?
- What do you know about Amazon’s products?
- What are your greatest strengths?
- We want to know about your greatest weakness.
AMAZON LEADERSHIP PRINCIPLES INTERVIEW QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
This principle is based on your commitment to customer service excellence and your willingness to do everything you can to help them achieve their goals.
FOR EXAMPLE, HTMLON’S LEADERSHIP INTERVIEW QUESTIONS “CUSTOMER OBSESSED”
- Please share an instance when you went above and beyond to assist a client.
- What does customer service look like to you?
- Give an example of a time when you helped a customer through a difficult time. How did you allow them to turn things around?
- Give an example of how you have helped a client achieve their goals and vision.
HOW TO ANSWER AMAZON’ CUSTOMER-OBSESSED QUESTIONS’?
Answering the Amazon interview question requires two components. The first is to demonstrate your research skills by thoroughly understanding the customer. It can be shown through data analysis of competitor analysis and performance matrixes. The second component is communication and engagement with customers, their goals, and challenges. Next, you will work with the customer on a strategy to overcome barriers and stimulate growth.
Amazon is an organization that is always looking ahead. Being part of this culture requires taking responsibility for your work and domain. You don’t wait to have it done, grab the bull by its horns, and do it yourself.
EXAMPLE AMAZON’S LEADERSHIP INTERVIEW QUESTIONS FOR ‘OWNERSHIP’
- We would love to hear about an instance where you took responsibility for a piece or project.
- Give an example of a situation where you saw a problem that wasn’t being addressed and intervened to fix it.
- Give an example of when you took on a responsibility, completed a task, or performed an activity continuously.
- We would love to hear about an instance when you took the initiative when others weren’t.
EXAMPLE AMAZON’S LEADERSHIP INTERVIEW QUESTIONS FOR ‘OWNERSHIP’ QUESTION?
The amazon interviewers will not be interested in your answers but will be more interested in why you did it. Why did you decide to take on this responsibility? Therefore, ensure your solutions are multi-layered and include the What/How and the Why. Also, show how you kept focused and on the mission throughout this time, along with your Ownership to help you overcome adversity.
INVENT AND SIMPLIFY –
Amazon is committed to being efficient and lean. Leaders should have a mindset that encourages continuous improvement.
EXAMPLE HTMLON’S LEADERSHIP INTERVIEW QUESTIONS “INVENT AND SIMPLIFY”
- We would love to hear about an instance where you have improved a process.
- Give an example of a situation where you have found an innovative solution.
- Give an example of a more straightforward way to do something.
- Please tell me about an instance when you had to think outside the box.
HOW DO YOU ANSWER AMAZON’S ‘INVENT AND SIMPLIFY?’ QUESTION?
The AWS interviewer is interested in your process of coming up with a solution. It is essential to explain why, just like other leadership principles such as Ownership—the reason you chose to approach the problem the way you did.
YOU ARE RIGHT. A LOT –
Amazon isn’t the largest company in the world by accident. They’ve achieved this feat through their people’s determination. It means that you can trust your research, analysis, and experience and, more often than not, are correct.
FOR EXAMPLE, AMAZON’S LEADERSHIP INTERVIEW QUESTIONS FOR ‘ARE RIGHT, A LOT’
- Let me tell you about a time when you believed you were right despite disagreements with your colleagues. How did you justify your position?
- Give us an example of a situation where you disagreed with a manager who is more senior than yourself. How did you handle this situation and make your case?
- Please tell us about a time you were told “no” and how you responded.
- Give us an example of a situation where you have challenged the status quo.
FOR EXAMPLE, AMAZON’S LEADERSHIP INTERVIEW QUESTIONS FOR ‘ARE RIGHT, A LOT’
Answering the Amazon interview question using this method is the most efficient. Focus on the Why and why you disagree. Why did you think it was necessary? What motivated you to use a specific approach in your case? It’s also important to know your beliefs and values. It will help you anchor your answer. These elements will help you to provide a firm solution.
LEARN AND BE CURIOUS –
Amazon has revolutionized online shopping, logistics, and cloud storage with AWS. (Amazon Web Services). One reason they have been able to do this is that they actively encourage curiosity and inquisitiveness. You will find great ideas, solve problems, and create solutions in these crevasses.
FOR EXAMPLE, INTERVIEW QUESTIONS LEARN AND BE CURIOUS
- What are you doing right now to advance your professional career?
- We would love to hear about an instance when you had to learn something new to deliver a task or project.
- How can you stay motivated?
- We would love to hear about an example where your curiosity led to a positive outcome.
HOW TO ANSWER AMAZON’S ‘LEARN AND BE CURIOUS’ INTERVIEW QUESTIONS?
The Amazon interview question may come in two forms. First, it is a competency question. Here it would be best if you gave an example. Second, you must show your curiosity and ability to learn. Third, explain how you can apply this learning in a workplace setting. You must also be able to answer at least two straightforward questions for the How question.
HIRE AND DEVELOP THE BEST –
You want to be the best. Amazon is proud of this. Before anyone can be hired, everyone, regardless of age, must undergo a thorough interview process.
EXAMPLE INTERVIEWS HIRE AND DEVELOP the BEST’
- Please tell me about a time when you have supported someone’s professional growth.
- What are the essential qualities you look for in a candidate when hiring?
- We’d love to hear about your team-building experience.
- We would love to hear about an instance when a talented member of your team was struggling. How did you turn that around?
EXAMPLE INTERVIEWS HIRE AND DEVELOP the BEST’
This Amazon leadership principle is often mentioned in management-level interviews, usually L3 or above. You must clearly articulate your vision for developing staff, your values, and the strategies you use to build them. It is a crucial principle for Amazon managers. We also offer specialist management interview coaching to leaders.
INSIST ON THE HIGHEST STANDARDS –
Amazon has maintained the highest standards of working practice, whether it be customer service or working in an Amazon warehouse. Amazon is not satisfied with mediocrity, which has been a critical part of its success.
FOR EXAMPLE, HTMLON’S LEADERSHIP INTERVIEW QUESTIONS INSIST ON THE HIGHEST STANDARDS’
- Let us know about a time when you worked with a struggling colleague. How did you help them improve their performance?
- Give an example of a significant improvement you’ve made.
- Give us an example of a time you have challenged the status quo.
- We want to hear about an instance where you took the initiative to fix something wrong.
HOW TO ANSWER AMAZON’S ‘INSIST ON THE HIGHEST STANDARDS’ INTERVIEW QUESTIONS?
It would be best to look at how you helped an underperforming team member. Make sure to include the Why. It’s important to discuss with them the reasons behind the initiative or project. It would improve customer experience, etc.
THINK BIG –
Amazon isn’t the only company that has big ideas. Amazon and AWS encourage employees to have big ideas to help customers. Who can forget when Amazon considered using drones to deliver customers’ purchases?
FOR EXAMPLE, AMAZON’S LEADERSHIP INTERVIEW QUESTIONS FOR ‘THINK BIG’
- Please tell us about an instance when you used an unconventional and innovative approach to solving a problem.
- We would love to hear about a time when you set high goals and were able to achieve them.
- Let us know when you set lofty goals but still need to complete them. What did you learn?
- Give an example of a time when you saw an opportunity that others missed. How did you make it a reality?
HOW TO ANSWER AMAZON’S ‘THINK BIG’ INTERVIEW QUESTIONS?
Your Big Think leadership stories can be built similarly to the other leadership principles. Talk about what you did and why it was done. The ‘Why’ of your thinking is what you are focusing on. Your Philosophy will be an essential topic. It will help you to anchor your big-thinking mindset. Senior management and executives need to be able to articulate their philosophies and incorporate them into their interview responses. We offer specialist executive interview coaching to help you achieve a polished interview performance.
BIAS FOR ACTION –
Amazon believes that actions speak louder than words, and they don’t like people who talk, but they do like people who take the initiative and get things done. They are one of the world’s most successful and prominent corporations. We also offer corporate interview coaching if you need some support.
FOR EXAMPLE, AMAZON’S LEADERSHIP INTERVIEW QUESTIONS FOR ‘BIAS FOR ACTION’
- Let me tell you about a time when you didn’t still needed to get all the information but still had to decide.
- Give an example of a situation where you needed to make an essential but quick decision. How did you approach making the right choice?
- Give an example of a time when you made a wrong decision. How would you approach it differently if given a chance to make it right again?
- Let me know when you are under pressure to make a decision.
HOW TO ANSWER AMAZON’S ‘BIAS FOR ACTION’ INTERVIEW QUESTIONS?
Focusing on your thoughts and attitude during a particular situation is the best way to answer Bias for Action’s leadership principle is to help others. Like many other questions, the “Why” becomes extremely important. It’s also essential to paint the scene, providing figures and facts to create, size, and urgency. It will give the situation (of the STAR method) a sense of importance, making the actions (What, How, and Why) more exciting and engaging.
Our grandparents and parents were able, like many of us from a previous generation, to make a few pennies work for them. Amazon and AWS recognize this quality. It is expected that all its leaders can achieve more with less.
EXAMPLE AMAZON’S LEADERSHIP INTERVIEW QUESTIONS FOR ‘FRUGALITY’
- Give an example of how you delivered despite limited resources or support.
- Let me tell you about a time when you had to pay for a project on a tight budget. How did you do it without sacrificing quality?
- Give an example of a situation where limited resources were used more effectively than expected.
- We’d love to hear about an instance when you were resourceful.
HOW TO ANSWER AMAZON’S ‘FRUGALITY’ INTERVIEW QUESTIONS?
While the ‘Why” was a key component of leadership principles in the past, Frugality makes it even more critical. The What and especially the How are equally important. Adapting to situations and focusing on the future is crucial.
EARN TRUST –
Amazon’s success lies in attracting customers, partners, and staff. But, they also can retain them. Trust is at the core of this ability. Trust can be earned by delivering for customers, partners, and your team.
FOR EXAMPLE, HTMLON’S LEADERSHIP INTERVIEW QUESTIONS EARN TRUST
- Give an example of a successful turnaround on a low-performing account.
- We would love to hear about an instance where you earned the trust of a critical stakeholder, even though it was difficult.
- We would love to hear about a model where you gained confidence from your colleagues in a new group.
- Give an example of a time when you have reestablished damaged relationships with key stakeholders.
HOW TO ANSWER AMAZON’S ‘EARN TRUST’ INTERVIEW QUESTIONS?
When answering the Amazon interview question, the primary focus should be on your soft skills. For example, your ability to listen and understand barriers. You should also demonstrate important personal values such as honesty, transparency, being transparent, and saying what you mean. This partnership will allow you to achieve excellent results by working with the team or individually.
DEEP DIVE –
Amazon is world-renowned for its knowledge in all markets and niches they enter. Their success is dependent on their ability to analyze and conduct profound research. This insight is crucial to providing outstanding customer service and gaining an edge over competitors.
EXAMPLE AMAZON’S LEADERSHIP INTERVIEW QUESTIONS FOR ‘DEEP DIVE’
- Give an example of a situation where you researched a subject to understand a client’s needs better. How did you do it?
- We would love to hear about when you used data and research to make a strategic choice.
- We would love to hear about your experience using data and analysis to improve service quality.
- Please tell us about a time when you used various analytical and data techniques. Why did you choose this approach? How did you apply your learning?
HOW TO ANSWER AMAZON’S ‘DEEP DIVE’ INTERVIEW QUESTIONS?
Amazon’s leadership principle requires that you demonstrate your ability and willingness to understand more than a superficial level of an area. It could be your client, competitor, or your department. It also means you must show your ability to think beyond the surface.
HAVE BACKBONE; DISAGREE AND COMMIT –
You’ll have strong personalities who are passionate about what they do. It is a hallmark of any successful organization. Amazon encourages healthy, honest dialog. If you don’t agree with something, you should be bold and disagree.
EXAMPLE INTERVIEW QUESTIONS FOR ‘HAVE BABONE; DISAGREE and COMMIT’
- We want to hear about an instance when you had to question the status quo.
- We would love to hear about your experience disagreeing with a senior manager. How did you overcome it?
- Give an example of when you had to disagree, knowing it could be detrimental to yourself.
- Please tell us about a time when you disagreed with a customer. What was the cause? How did it affect the relationship? And what was your outcome?
HOW TO ANSWER AMAZON’S ‘HAVE BACKBONE; DISAGREE AND COMMIT’ INTERVIEW QUESTIONS?
You must demonstrate principles, morals, and a larger-picture view. Your ability to overcome these emotions and stand your ground will answer this leadership principle. It is also essential to show how you supported your idea through data, ethics, or strategic reasoning.
DELIVER RESULTS –
Amazon is a results-driven organization. Therefore, all leaders must walk the talk, rise to the occasion and achieve their goals.
FOR EXAMPLE, AMAZON’S LEADERSHIP INTERVIEW QUESTIONS FOR ‘DELIVER RESULTS’
- If you have ever had to meet a deadline, please share your experience with us.
- Give an example of a project that didn’t go according to plan. How did you manage to turn it around?
- Give an example of when you had to deliver on a complex project. What were the challenges, and how did you overcome them?
HOW TO ANSWER AMAZON’S ‘DELIVER RESULTS’ INTERVIEW QUESTIONS?
Deliver results answers require you to show three things in your response:
- How well you planned.
- How you adapt to changing circumstances.
- How you navigated through problems and challenges.
It is essential to explain the reasons and rationale behind each aspect of your decision-making. Also, ensure your results are clear, tangible, and supported with facts and figures.
STRIVE TO BE EARTH’S BEST EMPLOYER –
Amazon is a significant employer with a lot of responsibility. Amazon recognizes the importance of creating a work environment that is fun, enjoyable, inclusive, and positive. A supportive environment is also provided to help staff achieve their professional goals.
FOR EXAMPLE, AMAZON’S LEADERSHIP INTERVIEW QUESTIONS FOR ‘STRIVE TO BE EARTH’S BEST EMPLOYER’
- Give an example of a situation where you helped create a positive culture in your team. How did you do it?
- Please tell me about a time when you have supported a team member in their personal and professional growth.
- Give an example of a situation where you have led a diverse group of people. How did you get the best from them all?
- What can you do to ensure equality and promote diversity in the workplace?
HOW TO ANSWER AMAZON’S ‘STRIVE TO BE EARTH’S BEST EMPLOYER’ INTERVIEW QUESTIONS?
When answering a question, you must consider a few critical points to be the best employer leader principle. It revolves around how you view managing people and leading a team. 2) How you manage your team. 3) How you build strong relationships with your team members and colleagues.
SUCCESS AND SCALE BRING BROAD RESPONSIBILITY –
Amazon recognizes that they are quickly becoming the largest company in the world. When making decisions, Amazon leaders consider this.
EXAMPLE HTMLON’S LEADERSHIP INTERVIEW QUESTIONS “SUCCESS AND SCALE BROUGH BROAD RESPONSIBILITY”
- Please tell me when you considered the more significant impact of your actions (ethical, environmental, etc. ).
- Please give us an example of a situation where you have decided to change based on broader impacts (e.g., environmental or community-ethical). )?
- Give an example where corporate social responsibility was at the core of your decision-making. Why did you make that decision?
HOW TO ANSWER AMAZON’S ‘SUCCESS AND SCALE BRING BROAD RESPONSIBILITY’ INTERVIEW QUESTIONS?
These questions are critical. It is crucial to show the details required to adapt a business decision to avoid a negative social impact. You can choose to follow an ethical path or put governance in place to ensure your actions are ethically compliant. It is essential to show the long-term benefits of these actions.